Blue and White

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Feingold: Fight terror and still protect civil liberties

Visiting the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, Russ Feingold discussed what he called attacks on Americans' civil liberties.

"This is a fight against terrorism and an effort to protect innocent Americans who have done nothing wrong. We can do both" Feingold said.

When he was told that his recent stands on civil liberties and the Iraq war may please liberal activists, but they may hurt his chances later on with moderate Democrats and conservatives, he answered:

"I don't care. Whatever political considerations I have are absolutely irrelevant to the decisions I make having to do with people's civil liberties and something as weighty as Americans risking their lives overseas. The day that I start think politically about those things is the day I should leave politics."