Blue and White

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Poor Losers

A little while ago I was working out and I was watching Fox News. I like watching Fox News when I am in the mood of listening to deliberate distortions of the truth. Watching a propaganda station like Fox News makes exercise less boring.

Anyway, there was this show that viewers were calling to argue whether Bush has been a good president or not. A democratic congressman in the show (I forgot his name) was arguing that the economy is in a bad shape, while a republican guy was saying that Bush created 6,000, 000 jobs and that the economy is doing great. Nothing unusual so far.

Then this viewer called and said something remarkable like: "I am on of these average people that you are talking about...I make $32,000 a year...and Bush has been great for the economy and the country ...etc etc".

It was a guy with an income of $32,000 who believed that he was an "average" guy and he was a republican and strong supporter of the president. And here are my questions:

1. What kind of a loser would believe that making $32,000 per year makes him "average"? No Mr. genius you are not average...you are very very poor.

2. Why poor people like that vote against their interests? The interests of people at the poverty level like that guy (and pretty much anyone making less than $50,000/year) are clearly represented better by the democrats.

I think the reason that some people like this (who are apparently of relatively low intelligence) vote republicans is because it makes them feel better. It makes them feel that by voting for the interests of the rich, they may themselves become rich one day. Like magic. Unfortunately for them, they will remain poor. Like poor losers.