Blue and White

Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Cartoon Bomb

The Nation has an interesting editorial on the issue of the Danish cartoons. Although usually I agree completely with what the Nations says, I am not sure I agree here. Freedom of speech is freedom of speech for everyone: for the right, for the center, for the left..... Although, I dislike right-wing newspapers, like the Danish Jyllands-Posten, I believe that they absolutely have the right to publish anything they want and express any crazy idea the feel like they want to express.

I agree though with the editorial of the Nation on this conclusion: the whole thing has.. "developed into a showdown between Europe and Islam, a cardboard clash of civilizations deeply gratifying to the right-wing Europeans and radical Islamists who had fanned the flames of Copenhagen".