Blue and White

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Google will censor itself for China

Google will censor itself for the Chinese version so it will gain greater access to China's fast-growing market. The company is setting up a new site - Google.cn - which it will censor itself to satisfy the authorities in Beijing.

I dont think that's a good idea. The fascist regime that runs China blocks free internet-access to the web. As the BBC indicates, the BBBC new site is inaccessible, and so are the websites of many other news organizations. I have visited China in the past, and I have tried to go in the web to the BBC site and various blog sites I visit daily. It was a very weird feeling when I realized that they were blocked. It was a powerful reminder of how important freedom is. Google should simply pull out of the Chinese market. It does not matter how good the market is finanncially. It is a country run by a fascist regime and its antidemocratic actions need to be condemned.